Saturday, May 16, 2009

Back in Action

We're back! After more than a year of not blogging, I've decided it's high time to start a new site. And what a year it was...we worked an awful lot, sold a condo in Chicago, bought a house in Cincinnati, moved all of our earthly belongings, and most importantly, had our twins, Ben and Lily. So yes, we're back in Cincinnati and presto change-o we're a family of four. I'm not gonna lie--the first three months were rough--but now that the babies are five months old we're slowly getting the hang of what it means to be parents. 

So then what's the story with this new blog? Well, it's about food, of course. Followers of our older blog, Read it and Eat, will remember that we adore dining out and did so quite frequently, especially when were in Chicago. But as you parents out there already know, things change and one of the very real consequences of having twins is that we just don't have the time or money to eat out so frequently. 

But wait, I went to culinary school, right? So I should know how to cook, right? Right. And I'm motivated more than ever to make sure I'm cooking nutritious, yummy food for my family. So I did what I've wanted to do for about two years: I joined a CSA. Huh? What's that, you ask? Well, it stands for Community Supported Agriculture and basically it means that I signed up with a local farm to get a weekly delivery of fresh fruits, veggies and dairy products. It runs for 24 weeks, and it starts THIS SUNDAY!

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. When the email notice came last week letting me know that I should be present for my first pick-up at the Hyde Park Farmer's Market between 9:30 and 11 am on Sunday, I could hardly contain my excitement. What's going to be in the basket? I have no idea, since it varies every week depending on what's in season. I do know that at a minimum it will include a dozen fresh eggs each and every week. Hot dog. 

I have this feeling that we're going to end up with more veggies than we can possibly consume in a week, but I'm going to give it a shot. I'm excited about using products I might never purchase otherwise, and will share my recipes, successful and not so, here on the blog for you each week.

The babies are about to start eating "real" food so the timing couldn't be better. We start on rice cereal tomorrow, graduate to yellow and orange foods, then move on to the greens. All of this should certainly make for some interesting Kodak moments and presumably a good deal more baths.

Follow along as we make our way through a season of fresh produce and not so fresh diapers, recipes included.

No comments:

Post a Comment