Saturday, May 23, 2009

Eggs











I was, and still am, a little worried about how I'm going to use up a whole dozen eggs a week. Unless you're Jon and Kate Plus 8 (I'm watching the marathon on TLC right now) I just don't know how you eat that many and not have your cholesterol shoot through the roof. 

I'm going to give it a go though, because if I don't use them all up in a week, it's Sunday again and all of the sudden another dozen are on their way and they'll start lining up in my fridge. And look how lovely these eggs are! I was so pleasantly surprised to open up the carton to find that instead of the perfectly white, smooth, evenly shaped eggs you find at the grocery store, these were all different colors and sizes, some speckled, some brown, some bumpy. To me, this is the sign that they're truly fresh. I read that the eggs you typically buy in the grocery store are already an average of 3 weeks old when you buy them fresh, and then you proceed to keep them another 3 weeks, per the date on the container. 6 week old eggs? That's not my definition of fresh. 

So this week after a long day of work I really wasn't feeling all that imaginative and decided I had energy only for an omelette. So I cracked 3 of the beautifully imperfect eggs into a bowl, whisked them with some half and half I found in the fridge, and stirred in some fresh cracked pepper and sea salt. I thought this might be a good use for my CSA green onions too, so I chopped three of those. After cooking the eggs until just barely set I placed the chopped green onions and some thinly sliced swiss cheese on the omelette, folded it in half and heated just a minute more to let the cheese melt. 

Unbelievable how something so simple can be so good. Was it the fresh eggs? Or my liberal use of half and half (remember, cream makes everything taste better)? Or the green onions that didn't just look like green onions but actually tasted like them too? I don't know, but I do know that I'll be having at least one omelette dinner a week for the next 23 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment