Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sous Chef Julie Creates First CSA Masterpiece

Like my dear friends Angie and Peter, I likewise discovered (and was immediately obsessed with) the opportunity to join a CSA. I have always been a farmer's market junkie, and fondly remember stopping into the market at Lunken to find the season's freshest fare. My mom knew the vendors by name, and there is nothing better than a tomato or ear of corn picked that monring. I spent many a Sunday last year at the Hyde Park Farmer's Market, and would muse over what delicious creation would grace my Sunday night table. As a single woman, purchasing in small quantity and value are both important to me.

Fast forward to 2009 and CSA comes on the scene. I orginally e-mailed several CSA's in March/April and was saddened to learn that most were booked for the season. Just last week I learned of an opening with the Hazelfield Farm CSA from Wheatley, KY (near Sparta, I've learned). After learning of the opening, I signed up immediately. Currently, I plan to "share" my 1/2 share with my mom. Due to a spontaneous trip to Nashville this past weekend, mom was on the first pickup duty, and arrived with baggies in hand to find the friendly owner of the farm.

Week One's basket included: romaine lettuce (fresh and clean), several radishes, kohlrabi (we think), kale, chinese cabbage, strawberries, a small baggie of washed flat leaf parsley. Our basket also includes a boquet of fresh wildflowers, which were purple and white this week. Mom and I agreed that she would keep the contents of the basket this week and I would join them for dinner.

My parents enjoyed the kale last night, which my mom explained was tossed in with sauteed mixed vegetables and shrimp.

Tonight, to accompany a pan seared halibut and red skin potatoes, I created a slaw from the cabbage, grated radish, parsley, and some green onion. I made a light sweet dressing with 2 teaspoons light mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon of white sugar, a few shakes of celery seed, and a bit of salt and pepper. In my excitement to give it a taste, I should have dried off the freshly washed cabbage a little bit more thoroughly, which made the dressing a little bit watery. But hey, live and learn, right?

Mom and dad gave the slaw a good review....and I thought it turned out pretty well. The radish gave a nice bite and the parsley a very fresh flavor.

Since mom is holding the romaine and kohlrabi hostage in Anderson, this might be my only CSA meal to report this week. More to come after next week's pickup.

No comments:

Post a Comment